Once Go-Cards are distributed, students must have their cards with them when borrowing library materials.
Returning students may also use last year's card, until new ones are distributed.
For the months of September and October, library monitors may look up a borrower's account on Horizon, provided that the student has shown the computer printout of his/her timetable. No printout? No Lookups.
STEPS FOR CHECKING OUT BOOKS
1) Before checking out a book or materials, ALWAYS MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO DAMAGES!!
If a book already has an “OUCH” label on it, continue to step 2.
If there is no “OUCH” label, fill out a pink damaged slip.
2) SCAN STUDENT'S GO-CARD.
NO GO-CARD? Ask to see the student’s computer print out of his/her schedule.
You can look up the student’s library account until new Go-Cards are distributed.
- IF THE COMPUTER BEEPS WHEN YOU SCAN THE GO-CARD or look up a borrower,
READ WHAT IS ON THE SCREEN!**
- If a student has an overdue book, tell him / her what they have out & ask that they can not borrow any more materials until they have returned the overdue.
- If any other message appears, call the teacher-librarian or ask the student to see the teacher-librarian later.
3) SCAN BARCODE FOR EACH ITEM
Books / PBs / Reference: The barcode is on the top left-hand corner of the book.
Videos: It is either on the video case, or on the video itself - inside the case.
4) PRESS THE F11 key – TO PRINT DATE DUE SLIP.
The printer is slow. While the slip gets printed out … de-sensitize the books.
Just remember to tear off the date due slip and give it to the student.
Remind the student to return or renew the item before the date due.
BOOKS (Fiction / Non-Fiction / Paperbacks / Hard Covers): 2 weeks
MAGAZINES (Back Issues Only): 2 weeks
AUDIO-VISUAL MATERIALS (VIDEOS / DVDS / CDS): 2 weeks
REFERENCE MATERIALS (Encyclopedias): OVERNIGHT LOAN
(Check out at 3:05 / Due back before 8:30 a.m. the next school day.
5) DE-SENSITIZE BOOKS & MAGAZINES ONLY!
NEVER … EVER! DESENSITIZE VIDEOS OR DVD CASES.
Passing these through the 3M machine will erase the audio on the tapes.
6) PRESS F4 key, & then the ESC key to clear screen & to move to next borrower.
CHECKING OUT SPECIALIZED MATERIALS
(i.e. Reference Books / Magazines / DVDs)
Step by step procedure on how to check out a magazine.
Note: Magazines are also referred to as "periodicals".
Vocabulary for this segment: Current Issues / Back Issues / Blue boxes for storing back issues