Sign In

About Us

​MacCorkindale is proud to be a neighbourhood school serving the community and its families for over 40 years. 

Dr. H.N. MacCorkindale Elementary was constructed in 1967 as the first Open Area school in British Columbia using the guiding principle of collaborative team teaching, which means that three to four staff work in close proximity in a given Area sharing space, curricular resources and students. The school is named after Dr. Hugh Neil MacCorkindale, Superintendent of Schools from 1933 to 1954.

MacCorkindale has three Open Areas (A, B, and C - Area D was closed in 2013) with it's built in resource centres, a Library, Gym, music/band room, as well as an enclosed Kindergarten room. In 2011, Area C was renovated for 21st Century learning. The school is equipped with computers and mobile devices, such as iPads, for student use to access the Internet and work towards problem and project based learning. There are two beautifully landscaped enclosed courtyards, spacious grounds offering open fields, and a variety of recently renovated adventure playground equipment.
The school has approximately 25 teaching and support staff serving almost 200 students ranging from Kindergarten to Grade 7.

The students reflect the multi-ethnic nature of the community with almost ten different languages spoken at the school.

Who was Dr. MacCorkindale?

Dr. Hugh Neil MacCorkindale (Sometimes called Henry Neil MacCorkindale) served the Vancouver educational system from 1914 - 1954, except for the three years he was with the Canadian and Imperial armies overseas. He became a member of the University of British Columbia Senate in 1933, and was chairman of the Secondary School Curriculum Committee from 1935 -1937. Dr. MacCorkindale planned for the making of the two million dollar Vancouver Vocational Institute that is now part of Vancouver Community College. In 1953, he received the Honourary Degree of Doctor of Law from U.B.C. Dr. H.N. MacCorkindale was master of ceremonies at the official opening of MacCorkindale Elementary School on December 8, 1967. It only seemed right to name the first open-area school in B.C. in his honour.

(The above  information was researched by two grade 7 students for a newsletter sometime in the 1990’s.)


The following is from: The Greater Vancouver Book – written by Chuk Davis, 1997

Dr. H.N. MacCokrindale Elementary - Dr. Hugh Neil MacCorkindale was a special kind of pioneer. He was a pioneer in novel education concepts, a superintendent of Vancouver city Schools from 1933 – 54, a member of the UBC senate and an officer of the Canadian Education Association. A good person to be naming a school for! ~page 144

Hugh Neil MacCorkindale Educator b. 1888, Owen Sound, Ont.; d. Jan. 17, 1977. A graduate of U of T, “Dr. Mac” first taught in Ontario (1906). Came to Vancouver in 1914. Served as an artillery officer in France from 1916-18. Taught at South Vancouver HS (now John Oliver). First principal of new Point Grey Junior HS (1928-33); superintendent of Vancouver City schools until retirement in 1954. In his 40 years with the school board and 21 years a superintendent, he pioneered concepts in education. Member, UBC senate. LL.D (UBC, 1954) ~page 827

​​