EAL and SPED
What is a School Counsellor?
A certified teacher with specialized training in Counselling Psychology.
At Killarney each grade has their own counsellor who starts with them in Grade 8 and continues as their counsellor until grade 12.
What does a Secondary School Counsellor Do?
- Assists Parents and Students to
Helps Students Deal with Life Issues such as:
- Understand school curriculum, courses and services
- Understand educational strengths, challenges and needs of the student
- Become aware of post secondary options and career possibilities
- Develop effective communication skills with each other
- Become aware of alternate courses, program and schools that may better suit the student.
Liases with Teachers, Administrative Staff and other professionals to best support students in school
- Anxiety, Depression and other mental health concerns
- Assertiveness and Conflict Resolution
- Bullying, Gangs and Peer Pressure
- Family Relationships
- Career and Post Secondary Planning
- Stress Management, Decision Making and Problem Solving
Teaches a portion of Health and Career Education curriculum
How can I contact my school counsellor?
- Students can drop by their counsellor’s office to talk. If it’s an emergency, contact any counsellor in the office for help.
- Parents can phone or email their son or daughter’s counsellor to make an appointment.