"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." Muriel Rukseyer, poet.
Welcome to Eric Hamber's English Department Page.
The department offers a varied selection of language and literature courses at each level. The overall aim of the courses offered by the department is to develop students' literacy skills in the key areas of reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing and representing. Having students reflect, analyze, interpret, and think critcally and creatively are key areas of focus, along with developing respect and understanding of each others and the world around them.
The department offers certain programmes of study for individual learners:
- The Challenge Programme - this is a district programme at the grade 8-10 level and continues ton to the senior level.
- The Regular Programme - English 8 to 12.
- Special Interest Courses instead of English 9, 10, 11 or 12.
- Transitional and ELC Programme for students with English as a second language.
- Elective course at the senior level.
The department uses a variety of assessment tools and term marks are calculated cumulatively.
There is a Grade Wide Write at the grade 8 and 10 level and a Grade 12 provincial exam practise for most students enrolled in English 12 courses. Not all students write the final end of year exam at grade 8, 9, 11.
Most students write the English 10 provincial examination in their grade 10 year and the English 12 provincial examination in their grade 12 year.
- For prescribed learning outcomes view English Language Arts 8-12 Integrated Resource Package and English 10, English 12 and Communications 12 exam specifications at www.bced.gov.bc.ca
The links on the left can navigate you to your instructor's webpages if he/she is managing one.
for a diagram of English Courses that you can take from grade 8 to 12.