Attached please find the first Long Range Facilities Plan (LRFP) Newsletter.
Beware - S-Trips Not Endorsed by VSB
The Vancouver School District would like parents to know that S-Trips are not supported or sponsored by the district or secondary schools. The S-Trip company offers grad events and recreational trips during spring and summer school breaks, as well as weekend trips to ski resorts. These are not school-sanctioned grad events or field studies and school and VSB staff are not involved in these trips.
The company recruits volunteer students from secondary schools to help with the advertising of these programs to other members of the student body. This advertising is done through social media tools widely used by students, such as Facebook and Twitter. The school district will not permit this company to advertise or meet with students on school property. The Vancouver School District has a comprehensive policy for school sponsored field trips and studies, which include clear expectations for student safety, responsibility and supervision. We encourage parents to carefully review the guidelines for student supervision and safety of any trips in which their youth are participating.
Links and Resources
Vancouver District Parent Advisory Council (DPAC)
The Vancouver District Parent Advisory Council (DPAC) is a collection of parents (elected by PACs) working with the common goal of supporting education for all the children of Vancouver School District (SD#39).
The purpose of DPAC is to:
· Support Parent Advisory Councils (PACs) at the school level and to encourage them to share their parents views at the district and provincial levels.
· Represent the views of city parents to the Vancouver Board of Education through participation on school board standing and advisory committees.
· Advocate for Vancouver parent concerns at the provincial level through representation to the British Columbia Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC), Vancouver Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs), and the Ministry of Education (MOE).
BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC)
The BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC) is a charitable organization registered under the Society Act of BC and is committed to enhancing the parental voice in public education in BC.
The purpose of BCCPAC is to:
· Advance the public school education and well-being of children in the province of BC.
· Carry on activities to promote and enhance meaningful parent participation in an advisory role at the school, school district and provincial levels.
School Aged Children and Youth (SACY)
SACY engages Vancouver parents, teachers, students, administrators and the greater community in a process to strengthen school-based alcohol and drug prevention and early-intervention programs and policies.
Safe Online Outreach Society (SOLOS)
SOLOS promotes the safe and responsible use of all forms of digital communications and social media through education that is research-based and pro-technology.