Dear Parents and Guardians:
Lots of news this week!
- Lost and Found Items,
- New Safe Arrival Procedures,
- Next Week’s Important Events!
LOST AND FOUND: There is a growing number of items in our “Lost and Found” located outside Room 108. Parents please check there if your child is missing coats, lunchboxes, etc. Also we’ve had two pairs of reading glasses turned in, now located in the office.
NEW SAFE ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
Please read the following carefully, as the Vancouver School Board has new procedures regarding their mandated Safe Arrival Program, signing students in and out, and advising the school of students being late or absent.
NEW LATE ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
If your child arrives after 9:00 AM, here are the new procedures.
- Please bring your child to the office to sign them in. There is a new Sign-In binder where parents record the time arriving, your child’s name and division, and then parents initial beside this.
- Once signed it, your child will receive a yellow “Late Slip” to give to the teacher.
- Ms Holmlund will then change their recorded absence to a late on the computer.
- Note: if you realize your child will be arriving late, please phone or email the school.
NEW STUDENTS LEAVING EARLY PROCEDURES
If you wish to have your child leave the school before the 3:00 PM dismissal, you must sign them out at the office. Here are the new procedures.
- Please call or email the school prior to arrival, so your child will be ready to leave when you arrive. In most cases we can arrange to have your child waiting for you at the office.
- When you get to the school, please do not go to your child’s classroom, but report to the office where you can sign your child out. The office staff will arrange for your child to come to the office.
- If leaving a voice message or email, please include your child’s full name and division (or name of classroom teacher) and reason for absence (such as illness, medical appointment, vacation day, or if none of the above then “parent excused”, as we record this).
- If you normally advise the teacher ahead of time of an appointment or family vacation, please also advise the office so we can record this.
- If the office isn’t notified by parents by 9:15 AM, we now must begin making phone calls to verify that the student is safe.
Next Week’s Important Events!
Monday, February 19 – Professional Development Day. Students do not attend school.
Wednesday, February 21 – 3:00 PM PAC cupcake sale
Thursday, February 22 – Field Trip for Division 1-2.
Thursday, February 22 – 6:00-7:00 PM “Camp Read-A-Lot” (info to come)
Friday, February 23 – Gardening Day. Please have your children wear weather appropriate clothing and boots for working in the garden.
Have a safe weekend!
If you have any questions or comments, please speak with your child’s teacher, or contact the school office. 604-713-4716 / email@example.com
Dear Parents & Guardians:
How time flies! We are now halfway through our school year!
While we’ve had some cold weather and blistering winds, we have largely avoided the snowfall that we had in December. In looking at the forecast for the month of February, there is no snow listed, but a lot of rain—the joys of living in a rainforest.
Please continue to ensure your children come to school wearing appropriate raingear—coats, boots, rain hats, etc., so they can play outside on the field and playground during recess and lunch hour. Also a reminder that along with rain comes the inevitable slip into a puddle, or rain-soaked pants, so please send along a bag for your child with a pair of pants, underwear, and socks. It can stay on their hook or in their cubby until needed.
A special thanks to our wonderful PAC for all their continued support and fundraising, be it the after-school bake sales, raffles, Purdys, poinsettias, and Scholastics. These help fund many projects, including Grade 4 camp, artists in the school, and other fine art experiences for our students.
Kiwassa Breakfast Cub is still going strong. Please drop by as often as you can to enjoy a free breakfast for the family. Parents needing early drop-off can leave their children at Kiwassa Breakfast Cub any time after 8:00 AM; they will be brought to the school at 8:45 AM.
Two dates to note:
Monday, February 12, is a holiday in BC called "Family Day". As such, the schools are closed.
Monday, February 19, is a Professional Development Day for teachers, and the theme is Literacy. Students do not attend school on this day.
Kindergarten Registration: Priority registration for Kindergarten (beginning September 2018) ended on January 31, 2018. If you have a child who was born in 2013, but you have not yet registered them for school, please do so as soon as possible. Contact the school office for a registration package.
Rainbow Week: The week of February 26-March 2 is called "Rainbow Week". Students are asked to wear certain colors each day. Monday: Orange/red. Tuesday: Yellow/green. Wednesday: Pink (for Pink Shirt Day). Thursday: Blue/purple. Friday: All the colors of the rainbow.
January Student of Month Students are:
Div 1: Christal, Ben S
Div 2: Maiya, Michelle
Div 3: Jasmine, Zoe
Div 4: Aiden, Mariah
Div 5: Garvey, Izzy
Div 6: Max, Marcel
Have a Wonderful February.